In honor of National Nutrition Month, we are celebrating with 10 days of healthy tips and recipes from our experts.
Health and Wellness Tip #7: Put Self Care on The schedule. You won’t find the time to squeeze it in.
Sushi Wraps Kids Love Recipe:
Kids and parent will love these easy sushi wraps. More accurately refereed to as Maki, this recipe is best thought of as being ‘borrowed’ from the art of preparing sushi. Cultural accuracy aside, this is a quick and nutritious meal. Make some extras and store in an airtight container in the fridge overnight. Slice them to add to lunch boxes in the morning.
Short grain brown rice
Toasted Nori Sheets for Sushi
Pick a couple of ingredients your family will love for the filling. Some ideas are: Carrots, cucumbers, baked tofu, spinach, sprouts, avocado, even leftover sweet potato fries!
Mirin for the rice
Tamari to dip (can mix with a little honey, ginger, agave, or mustard to vary the flavor)
- Cook the short grain rice, preparing with a little extra water to create moist rice.
- As the rice cooks, prepare the ingredients you will use in the wrap. Cut them into strips; lightly steam carrots, slice veggies into matchstick pieces.
- Place the rice into a bowl, let cool slightly. Sprinkle with mirin, or use plain. Gently mush the rice, just enough to create a stickiness, not to turn to paste! This will keep the roll together.
- Parent Choice: Either make the sushi roll your self, or involve the kids. Let them pick their own filling and roll the sushi.
- To do this, place the nori sheet shiny side down. Spread, actually more of a gentle patting to distribute a thin layer of rice leaving about ½ inch open on the part of sheet furthest from you.
- Place the filling across the rice in a small pile about an inch from the side closest to you.
- Tightly roll up it up. Rub some water moistened fingers across the far edge to help it seal.
- Slice into mini wheels. A bread knife works great.
- Make a variety of different types of rolls, slicing them and placing on a platter. Serve family style. Enjoy!
Cydney Smith helps entrepreneur moms to fuel their success with healthy
eating. More on her spirited approach to integrating wellness into an
inspired life, and the free PDF “Wellness Starter Kit” can be found at MompreneurWellness.com. If your ready to make room for more energy and clarity, sign up for the ‘Spring Cleanse for Busy Moms’ beginning March 3Oth.
Missed our other tips? Grab them here: